• Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Omnipod Set-up  (Read 956 times)

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
  • Discovering Our New Normal
    • Life With My Giggly Girls
Omnipod Set-up
« on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • So the pods and the PDM are on their way.  I feel confident about the insertion.  Is setting up the basals and all that really so complicated that I need to see a "professional" about it? 

I'm sure you can all guess which way I'm leaning.  But I need some professionals to let me know if I'm actually crazy for even thinking that.   ;D

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline angieh

• Level 4
    Re: Omnipod Set-up
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • As long as you have a properly calculated starting basal rate , I say DIY. You can't get much more user friendly and straightforward than the PDM.

Also mom to little Miss V, 2.5 years old, non-D

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:38:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah, if you are going from another pump you definitely don't need training. If coming from shots, I guess you'd need to know where to start with basals, but even that is not hard if you know your total basal that you use right now.

Good luck!
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline meke1997

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • I can't remember if it was our endo or Omnipod, but someone insisted we needed training.  It was super simple to set up, Abby did it all with the trainer looking over her shoulder.

<fx'd> I hope it works for her.  Abby is quite a bit older, but she loves it.  She just said the other day she wishes she had switched years ago.  She forgets she is wearing it.  We have had a few bumps with pod failures, but hopefully they get less with time.  The basal on the Ping can be done in small increments so we had to make minor adjustments to her basal.   
    Mary Jo Mom to Abby 16 (dxed 9-2-2008, pumping 3-1-2009, Dexcom 11-2012)

Offline meke1997

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • If she ends up liking it, I would recommend getting a Sugar Medical bag.  I ordered one for Abby and she loves it.  It holds the PDM, insulin, extra pod, testing supplies, and there is a clear pocket on the front for Dexcom.  They come in fun prints. 
    Mary Jo Mom to Abby 16 (dxed 9-2-2008, pumping 3-1-2009, Dexcom 11-2012)

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • meh- you've pumped.  Do it yourselves   :)  it's user friendly and easy.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • I knew you'd all have my back.  lol

We had a pump class tonight. (Mackenzie, Kayleigh and another girl assist our CDE with her pump classes.)  She did her spiel and then asked if there were any questions.  I shot my hand up and asked her if she was going to wig out when I got the omnipod and just hooked it up without a training appointment?  I stunned all the newbie parents and almost made the CDE pee her pants from laughing.  I'm pretty sure she doesn't care. lol

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:14:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • I knew you'd all have my back.  lol

We had a pump class tonight. (Mackenzie, Kayleigh and another girl assist our CDE with her pump classes.)  She did her spiel and then asked if there were any questions.  I shot my hand up and asked her if she was going to wig out when I got the omnipod and just hooked it up without a training appointment?  I stunned all the newbie parents and almost made the CDE pee her pants from laughing.  I'm pretty sure she doesn't care. lol

<bclap> <roflmao>
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »
  • Publish
  •  <roflmao>

When we went from Minimed to Omnipod we didn't do a training... transferred the info over and went on our way.  Did the same thing when we switched to the tSlim... but the rep got her panties in a bunch and tried to tattle on us to our CDE.  CDE said, meh, they'll be fine lol

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline apeanes

• Level 3
    « Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • Just let me know when you get them... we can have a lunch date and you can look at Sean's and we can get it all set up... SUPER easy :) And you know, any excuse to hang out with you guys....
    Anna, mom to
    Sean, 12 dx 4/2010
    Phil, 5

The life of man is like a game with dice; if you donít get the throw you want, you must show your skill in making the best of the throw you get. - Terence

Humor prevents one from becoming a tragic figure even though he / she is involved in tragic events. - E. T. Eberhart

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything