• Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: So, maybe I'm stirring the pot...  (Read 1426 times)

Offline angieh

• Level 4
So, maybe I'm stirring the pot...
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • ...or maybe it's just because we haven't been at this long enough or have had something really horrible (d related) happen yet...but some of these T1D Facebook groups are awfully dismal and bleak. I feel pretty good about my son's chances for a long and healthy life. Maybe I'm just naive? But I'm getting tired of reading all the negativity. I can't help but think the attitudes of some of these parents must be rubbing off on their children, and that's sad.

Also mom to little Miss V, 2.5 years old, non-D

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: So, maybe I'm stirring the pot...
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think parents are fed a lot of fear.  But yeah- totally agree.  Have left more than one group because it was all doom and gloom hype.

Our kids are fine, our kids are great.  Just because we caught a low of 40 doesn't mean they ALMOST DIED!!!   ppffft.

My kid is gonna kick my ass for a long time after I'm gone.   ;D
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:44:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • ...or maybe you're not a dramatic personality...

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree.  Lots of doom and gloom, "my kid can't" attitude.  Drives me nuts.  Yeah, it can be scary.  But it can't make our whole lives miserable.  The first year, pretty miserable and scary.  After that, it's just life with a few modifications.
    That's not to say that 40 with a down arrow isn't scary.  It sure as heck is.  But we know what to do, and we do it.  Our kids (and spouse, in my case) will be fine.  Leave those groups.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life!
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:10:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • That's not to say that 40 with a down arrow isn't scary.  It sure as heck is. 

Totally when Dexi is screaming 40 but bgl is 60s and diagonal down... and it happens after a soccer game and you reluctantly said yes to allowing her to sleep over at BFF's Dad's house which is an hour away... and she stops answering your texts...and the worst goes through your mind.... and then she calls and you enter into anger mode because you were so worried and threaten to never allow sleepovers away after again...sending kid into a fit of tears... and then later feeling so awful and guilty....and apologizing and explaining why mom went psycho and hugging it out...

so yeah... it can be so scary at times...but we're not 24/7 scary like some make it seem to be...

Have you read the "not fairs" of why our kids don't get to make a wish?

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline wildflower142

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • you're not the only one. But parents who express that opinion on the board, get attacked by other members and end up leaving the board.  I think it's fine to vent about diabetes every once in a while (even i do that!) but if you are so depressed about it, that it's all you think about than perhaps counseling is needed.
    Chris mom to 4 girls
    Ashleigh (17) T1D 3/23/10
    MDI w/Lantus & Novolog
    Pumped Animas & Tslim: Dec 2010-July 2015
    A1C 6.2%

Offline Tiffany***

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was very angry and I felt sorry for us when Vivian was diagnosed.  It was really hard, like it is for everyone.  We did do a little bit of counseling through the Endo office because I was really stressed out about "being in control"

A lot of that is my personality.  I come off very doom and gloom, which is weird because I don't necessarily feel the way I come across.  It's just how I talk/type. 

I am glad I found you guys when I did because things could have gone very differently for us.  I am also very very very glad I wasn't diagnosed here in Utah because things would have gone so horribly different.

I think a lot of the crazy business on FB is just the nature.  Like - draws - like.   It's like the women feed off of each other. 

Tiffany mom to 4.  T. 9-00 non-d  V. 12-02 dx 12-08  H. 3-07  E. 9-10

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:32:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • People on Facebook are crazy... I'm sure y'all know I help admin a Dexcom group. A guy disliked my reminder of the group rules...told me to "go chop some wood or feed the cows". I swear the Internet magnifies the crazy in some people.

I hate when I see the nastiness...especially in d groups...people go seeking understanding and advice from others who get it...often they're met with the opposite

My blog

Offline lizzye6

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think some times i am one of those crazy parents but with all i have gone through the last few years and Fala being a but about the dex i dont freak out as much about the lows because she always has them and we rae use to it but if she didnt answer my text i would think somethings wrong

Fala does what any other child would do and my faears of her going out of town with out me has settled thanks to every one on here and if i wasnt a part of this i would proble be one that never let her do anything

Mom to Charles 24 ,Dantha 23 ,Fala 14 [dx 9-11-2010]pumping with the ping since[ 9-26-2011] and my baby Halona 13

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was much more "doom & gloom" as a newbie, because there were so many unknowns; experience helped build confidence for me. But I have met other seasoned parents who are still pretty dramatic about it... I agree that some of it might be personality. Our family philosophy is compassion but not self-pity--faith is important to us, so we trust God and count our blessings even when it comes to D.

I agree with Tiffany about parents feeding on each other's fears. Really thankful I found T1P with such balanced perspectives.  :-* I'm not part of any FB groups (except our local JDRF connection) 'cause I don't have time for drama.
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:02:11 PM by SarahMay »
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • I personally feel that attitude plays such a huge role in being a happy, healthy person who happens to have T 1.  It isn't going to do anyone's kids any good if they are all about doom and gloom.  I wouldn't have made it as far as I have with a "woe is me" attitude.  (Or maybe I would have but I'd be an awful person to be around).

Sure there are scary times, and it IS serious business.  But you have to find a happy place in the middle, where your kids learn about the serious stuff, but also know that there are no limits to what they can achieve.  It's a balancing act, for sure.  I'm glad my parents found that middle ground with me. 
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
    « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • Exactly what Nancy said.  There has to be middle ground. 
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.