• Online Today: 74
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Are these blood glucose levels normal for a 4yo boy?  (Read 1328 times)

Krissandra

Are these blood glucose levels normal for a 4yo boy?
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi, everybody. I'm posting here because we don't have a diagnosis, and I'm hoping things never turn down that road. But I'm still concerned about my 4 year old son.

Because of some strange behaviors (extremely irritable, waking 3+ times a night with bad dreams, begging for drinks all night, bed-wetting, slow growth), I started wondering if diabetes might be the cause. So, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a ReliOn Confirm monitor. I followed the manual and made sure we washed both our hands before each reading.

Yesterday, his pre-breakfast reading (hadn't eaten since 6:30 p.m. the night before) was 106. I made him a Sunbutter sandwich with 1 tbsp jelly on white bread, and tested him 60 minutes after his first bite (he finished it in five minutes, because he's the fastest eating kid I know), and his level was 234.

So, I called his pediatrician. We went, and after he hadn't eaten in 4.5 hours, they tested him there and he was 96. Confused, we chalked it up to a fluke, but his pedi gave us a script for lab work (A1C, thyroid, and a few other things) and said to use it if we get any more high readings at home.

This morning, his fasting level was 109. He ate a bowl of unsweetened Cheerios with coconut milk (dairy allergy), and one hour after his first bite, his level was 168. Two hours after his first bite, his level was 120. That seems pretty good, right?

Are these normal for a 4yo? Should I follow through with the lab work (he HATES blood work, like any kid), or am I worrying over nothing?

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    Re: Are these blood glucose levels normal for a 4yo boy?
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • I don't like those post meal numbers. And I'd continue checking post meal like you are doing.  The fasting blood sugar is the last blood sugar to go wonky.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get the blood work done. 

<hug>
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • What Jessica said.  get the blood test.  the post meal numbers are the first indicator. 
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Definitely do the lab work (ask for their best tech or someone from pediatrics if he's a difficult blood draw). If it shows reason for concern, better to know sooner rather than later. If it's a fluke, then you'll be reassured!

Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Agreed.  Sounds like t1d to me.  If it was my kid (having done the diagnosis once....)  I'd sugar them up and check 1 and 2 hours post meal.  If that makes them spike then I'd do it and take them in when I knew them to be high.  Over 200 and symptomatic (which he is as you describe) is diagnostic as I understand it.

Sorry!

Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline Krissandra

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • I went ahead and registered, so... Hey all, I'm Krissandra. :)

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it. I guess I'm confused by how different his readings are - one day was 234, the next 168. Do you all see differences like that? Or does it make it more likely that the higher reading was inaccurate?

I haven't been having a lot of luck Googling - I keep only finding information for diabetics or adults, so I don't know what's normal. His pediatrician called me back today and said over 200 was a concern, which further confused me, because 168 didn't seem that great, either. (Not terrible, but not normal?)

I was trying to LOWER the sugar content in his meals before testing, because I thought that's what I was supposed to do. I didn't realize! I'm going to get his labs done tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I ran out of lancets, and more will be delivered Saturday, so I'm going crazy not being able to test again until then. I hate not having a way to test him till then! Can you reuse the lancets if you clean them?? I already threw the other ones away, but I was looking at them and thinking how easy it would be to soak in alcohol for a minute? Or is that a bad idea?

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 12:22:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Non-D persons shouldn't go over 160 as a rule.  180 for sure.  Over 200 is diagnostic with symptoms and no other explanation (steroids, infection, etc)

And yes- numbers are WILDLY variable. 

If it was my child I would give a very carby meal- pancakes, syrup, oj- and test after 1 hour and 2 hours.  IF you get a high reading like over 200, I would wash and dry hands well and re-test.  Anything on the hands can interfere with readings.

Most of us change lancets after a few weeks to months  ;)  so yeah.... they get reused a lot around here.

Offline Krissandra

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • Darn! I threw away 10 perfectly fine lancets! :( More will be here soon, but I didn't have them last night, and I wanted to test him in the middle of the night after he wakes up randomly, to see if there's a reason he's waking up.

I hope his labwork comes back normal!!

Offline Krissandra

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 08:23:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • So, I tried to up the carbs, and for some reason I got BETTER readings on him today. I'm so confused. We didn't get ay for breakfast because he had lab work done. And I missed the two hour dinner reading because he's in bed. But these are great?!?!

One hour after lunch: 126
    Two hours after lunch: 123
    One hour after dinner: 137

Read more: http://www.type1parents.org/index.php/topic,37565.0.html#ixzz45wYx4Buy

I copied and pasted that from the Introductions thread, because I thought it fit better in this thread.

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Those look like normal, non D numbers.   <fx'd> <bclap>

So, I tried to up the carbs, and for some reason I got BETTER readings on him today. I'm so confused. We didn't get ay for breakfast because he had lab work done. And I missed the two hour dinner reading because he's in bed. But these are great?!?!

One hour after lunch: 126
    Two hours after lunch: 123
    One hour after dinner: 137

Read more: http://www.type1parents.org/index.php/topic,37565.0.html#ixzz45wYx4Buy

I copied and pasted that from the Introductions thread, because I thought it fit better in this thread.

Offline Krissandra

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this board who was being supportive. Lucas's labs all came back completely normal! I am so relieved, because I don't think I could have managed another diagnosis on top of the ones we already have. I wish you all the best! Tell your kids they're rockstars!

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »
  • Publish
  •  <bclap>
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm so glad the labs came back normal! <bclap>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.