• Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Crazy Scary Lows 2 days in a row...same time of day  (Read 609 times)

Offline angieh

• Level 4
Crazy Scary Lows 2 days in a row...same time of day
« on: December 03, 2015, 02:10:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • This morning and yesterday morning, W dropped fast (really FAST) to the mid-20's, shortly before 8:00 am. It was terrifying, and now I am trying to figure out exactly why this happened - I'm not scared of insulin, but I AM scared of tomorrow morning, lol.

I typically pre-bolus him and then wait for the drop, feeding him right at that time. It has always worked very well. However - yesterday and today, he was a little stinker about his breakfast. I went to give it to him at the usual time, and he threw a fit about eating it and refused. I managed to get carbs into him at what I thought was a reasonable amount of time - perhaps 5-7 minutes later? - but it must have been too long because he dropped frighteningly fast and bottommed out at 27 yesterday and 28 today. He was still conscious and alert, I way over-fed him, but if I have to choose, I will take the 300 over the coma.  :-\

Yesterday morning, early hours before waking - he was steady in the 70's and woke at 75. I gave the usual prebolus, he drfited up a bit to low 80's before taking a dip and that's when I fed him. In hindsight, I should have only waited 10 minutes or so before feeding him. And that's what I thought it was - yesterday.

This morning, he woke a higher than normal at 160-ish after being in the 60's a few hours prior and eating some quick carbs. I pre-bolused and he went up to the 180's before taking the drop. I fed him when he was at 171 and no arrows. I was shocked that he could go from this to 28 so quickly, even though we had the extra 5 minutes in there of debating over breakfast.

After this morning's incident, I have taken breakfast I:C back 2 notches and also taken the early morning and morning basal segments down .05, as a precautionary measure for tomorrow.

Any thoughts/opnions/ideas? It may very well be that the prebolus was too long, but I'm not completely sure.

Also mom to little Miss V, 2.5 years old, non-D

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    Re: Crazy Scary Lows 2 days in a row...same time of day
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • What does his morning basal rate look like? Is it cranked up (like my boys are from 4 a.m. onward) to counteract dawn phenomenon/breakfast spike? Maybe prebolusing during a high-basal time is faster/more effective?

Also, has he changed what he's eating? More fat or fiber than usual for breakfast that would slow down the absorption of the carbs?

For my kids, Dex is so far behind real time BG I can't wait for the drop with a prebolus or they're already headed down too far. I just estimate time-wise.

Interested to hear what the others have to say... prebolusing is so important but it freaks me out sometimes.  <hug>
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:31:49 PM by SarahMay »
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.