• Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Advice  (Read 1500 times)

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
  • I love T1P
Advice
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello All...

I don't come around often and keep up with a lot of you on Facebook, but I have begun leaving Facebook groups because it's full of bullies and crazies...

How many of you bolus off of dexcom? We still have the G4 pediatric. Lexi broke down last night about how much she's hates her diabetes and one of the BIGGEST things that gets her is checking her blood sugar. I want to try to utilize dex more and do less pokes. Has the update been approved for the pediatric G4 yet?

Also, Lexi has her first sleepover Saturday. I'm paranoid and said no, but she needs this so dad said yes. Advice appreciated. She has a cell phone but doesn't know the password, but I plan on giving her the password for it that day. We talked about sending pictures for carb counts.

Lastly... We do not promote fear with diabetes... Lexi asks a lot of questions... What if I was 20? What if I was 20 with no juice? What if my blood sugar wouldn't come up? She's paranoid of her diabetes. Anyone experience this?

Really guys, I'm a mess over this. This sounds terrible, but since my dad's suicide, my mind always goes there. It scares the crap out of me that she has access to a lethal amount of insulin at anytime and she ALREADY hates diabetes so much. She's very insecure about it as well and THINKS people are talking about it or will make fun of her for it.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    Re: Advice
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • First  <hug> <hug>

We haven't gotten to sleepovers yet and Kaelyn doesn't ask lots of questions- she knows what *could* happen, but we don't talk about it really. She will also talk to anyone about D at any time. However I can tell you what we do with Dex. We have the pediatric receiver as well. For us Dex is not always spot on. IF Dex has been reading accurately we treat lows from it. I ALWAYS treat lows from it overnight- it has been what is working for us- I know it sounds awful but I don't have the physical energy to do the actual checks overnight unless it seems weird. Highs we treat off Dex only if we are out and about and busy, but I usually check. If Dex hasn't been overly accurate in that day then we test everything.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • We have both old and new algorithms live.  That said- we treat minor lows and minor highs off dex.  We also do extra corrections on lasting highs off of dex- especially overnight.

The 505 HAS been updated for pedi but is not being released as an update.  The g5 includes it though.

Remind me how old Lexi is now?  Is the mom or dad she's staying with helpful?  Savannah has been golden for carb counting for so long I don't really have much advice there other than ask the parents to check packages and share pics.

Overnight- let the parents know what to listen for, you follow share and have them ready for a call or text to wake them if you need it.

We have not dealt with fear.   :'(

Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:06:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Lexi will be 8 in January... The mom is a single mom and they are the house next door to the house behind us. Do you notice a significant difference in the different algorithms?

I THINK the fear is based on how she feels when she's low. I think she's having panic attacks because she says she feels like she's going to die. Could a low feel like that?

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:18:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jason and Seth dose off dex sometimes. We treat nighttime lows off dex pretty consistently. But, they're adults.
    Jason said he can totally see the thought of being low inducing anxiety for her. Bless her heart. Not fair at all.  <hug>
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Lexi will be 8 in January... The mom is a single mom and they are the house next door to the house behind us. Do you notice a significant difference in the different algorithms?

I THINK the fear is based on how she feels when she's low. I think she's having panic attacks because she says she feels like she's going to die. Could a low feel like that?

Close is good for a first sleepover  :)  Easy to chicken out or run over to help.

I notice significant difference coming out of lows.  The new one shows it much sooner.  I would never count on the old algorithm to know when she was up from a low.  It takes SO long.  New one is faster.  New one shows spikes a click or two sooner than the old one.  On level they are equal.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • bolusing off of dex depends on IOB... I do often use temp basals on arrow trends...

the 505 update won't be released for the G4 ped... you'll have to get the G5 for that.

When Annelies was younger, I'd often get pictures of her plate to try and do carb counts... when everyone was into posting pics of their food on facebook, I automatically tried to count the carbs ::)

For the What ifs... we've been there... I just told her that is why we need to make sure we have our low supplies with us and that we share with trusted people how to help us keep her safe.  I've also been known to answer a few and then let her know we can't 'what if' all over ourselves.  And 'what if' back to her... what if a frog had ears, what if we could fly, etc try to change the thought pattern

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
  • Publish

• I THINK the fear is based on how she feels when she's low. I think she's having panic attacks because she says she feels like she's going to die. Could a low feel like that?

Oh yes!  Lows feel horrible.  It's hard to explain the panic they induce.  I often feel like I could die, but my adult mind takes over and helps keep me calm. I can't even imagine what an 8-year old does with those kind of feelings.   

Is it possible for her to talk to a therapist who deals with Type 1 emotions?
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • We didn't start sleepovers until 7th grade/12 for Giovanni (one with D) and 5th grade/10 for Ava. Personally I think 8 is too young. Ava only went because they are family friends.

We bolus off of dex for high highs, like I see 300 with 1 on board so I bolus another 2. Lows I always treat off dex and then test in bit. If he's a steady 100 I won't check and will bolus for food eaten.

IDK about the fear. I talk to Giovanni about little stuff and the importance of communicating lows with me when sleeping over but we do have Share so I can see him most of the time.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:38:54 AM by gsmama »
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Tiffany***

• Level 4
    « Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • Vivian has been doing sleepovers since forever.  She was around the block from us when she was littler, around age 8.  She was always high after these sleepovers, but I was ok with that. 

Yes, she treats, and doses off of dex.  She calibrates in the morning and the night.  She does feel lows, not so much highs.  She will dose at lunch off of the dex at school.  Is it ideal?  No  But the alternative is her not testing and not getting insulin.  So we made that compromise. 

We do not utilize the share feature.  Though I would if she were younger. 

What if the friend stayed the night with you guys?  Or maybe a sleep-under.  She goes over and stays late 11-12 and then comes home.  This is always a decent compromise, both girls get the fun of staying up late, eating junk, watching terrible movies, and then both girls get to sleep in their own beds. 

About the cell.  Vivian has been carrying a cell for years and years.  Even before dex.  She currently has an Iphone.  We live in a day and age where people do not have home phones.  I can fire off a quick text to her and be done.  No need to call.  She can then fire one back easy peasy.  Viv's school doesn't ban the use during the day either, so she can even text me randomly through the day, which she does.   
    Tiffany mom to 4.  T. 9-00 non-d  V. 12-02 dx 12-08  H. 3-07  E. 9-10

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Poor girl.  <hug>

I never bolus off dex for food. Especially for Kayleigh, who's Dex is often way off.

But I have treated lows based on it, if it's been behaving.  (Which is hasn't been lately for either child. lol)  I'll also sugar surf a bit  off of the trends.  I'll give a smidge of insulin to stop a rising BG before it gets ugly. Sometimes it works for me, other times I have a low to treat.

As far as sleep overs, Kayleigh has been having them for a while. But only because her best friend's mom is my best friend and has a T1 herself.  Even without diabetes, I am very selective about sleepovers.  Only with families that I know extremely well. As in I consider them family.  Neither one of them wake for lows or the dex alarms so the family has to be willing to take on the job.

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • The sleepover got pushed back to this Saturday. We have had this little {brat} girl stay the night with us a few times, but Lexi is really looking forward to this. My husband also thinks she's too young, but I've been doing them since I was LITTLE. This is a single mom (which makes me more comfortable) and we know her well.

We've started to utilize the dexcom more and so far it seems to have cheered her up a bit. I have been using dex for everything, and only making her check in the morning and at night as long as she keeps dex on her. I'm going to also see about upgrading to the G5. She still has to check while at school.

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah- Savannah started sleepovers with close friends around 4 and then it was really rough when she was diagnosed at 6 that we kind of suspended them for a bit (no one we were currently friends with was comfortable with D...) These days she'd be happy with every day sleepovers.  :D

Hope things keep looking up for her.

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything