• Online Today: 64
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Guitar and finger poking?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
Guitar and finger poking?
« on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • So Kaelyn tarts guitar lessons this week. She really loves music and according to her current instructor (who is teaching her recorder, xylophone, and hand bells) she has "it". So we purchased a guitar and lessons to begin-

My question is anyone have any experience with guitar and finger poking? She likes to use the middle of her fingers- says the sides hurt. We explained though that she would need to use sides now. She REFUSES to test toes. Anyone have any advice?

When we met Adam Lasher at CC his philosophy was if it wasn't hurting you weren't playing right (or something like that). Which was taught to him by Mr. Santana himself. Not a philosophy I want to promote at this age.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: Guitar and finger poking?
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Why would she need to use the sides?  If her poked fingers aren't bothering her playing I say it's her deal.  If they hurt because they've been poked then she's a smart girl and will figure out a different poke technique or spot that won't bother her.  I'm all about trusting them whenever I can.  They know so much more about their bodies than we do.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ditto what Angela said. I've often thought our D kids would actually have an advantage in learning guitar because they already have calloused fingers! :)
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • I played guitar for years and years and years, and of course, have been poking my fingers for years and years and years as well.  Frankly, I never had an issue.  My fingertips were heavily calloused, but I was able to poke for blood with no problem. 

And yeah, it's probably going to hurt her fingertips til she gets some good guitar callouses. 
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks everyone- it makes sense when you all say it. Guess I was trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:29:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • I don't know much about guitar so this may be a dumb question... How many fingers will get calloused from playing?  could those ones just be off limits to pokes?

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't know much about guitar so this may be a dumb question... How many fingers will get calloused from playing?  could those ones just be off limits to pokes?

Non-dominant hand will have more callouses.
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes.   If you are right handed it would go like this:  your left hand will be pushing down on the strings. So all four fingers will get callouses, but not the thumb. Well...you could get a bit on your thumb.  You would strum or pick with your right hand. If you do a lot of fingerpicking, you could theoretically get callouses on that hand too.  So, use finger picks and/or use a pick to strum.  If you are going to play left handed, reverse  everything I just said. 
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 11:54:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes.   If you are right handed it would go like this:  your left hand will be pushing down on the strings. So all four fingers will get callouses, but not the thumb. Well...you could get a bit on your thumb.

Does anyone here routinely use thumbs for testing? I thought that was not recommended by The Experts, but I'm willing to reconsider if T1P's know differently. ;)

And while we're way off-topic, CAN you use toes for testing? I know they do in infants, but never understood why.
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yes.   If you are right handed it would go like this:  your left hand will be pushing down on the strings. So all four fingers will get callouses, but not the thumb. Well...you could get a bit on your thumb.

Does anyone here routinely use thumbs for testing? I thought that was not recommended by The Experts, but I'm willing to reconsider if T1P's know differently. ;)

And while we're way off-topic, CAN you use toes for testing? I know they do in infants, but never understood why.

We were never told to exclude thumbs.  And I know a number of people use toes  :)  and I've heard earlobes as well.  Savannah is a creature of habit though and only uses her middle and ring finger on each hand.  I gave up.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • We've never excluded thumbs.

Asked the endo about toes... she said she doesn't recommend it unless they're littles....the taller you get the further from the heart and the less fresh the reading

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • Maybe I'm uncoordinated but using thumbs seems awkward to me!  LOL. never used thumbs, toes, earlobes or arms.    For some reason, unknown to even me, I also don't use my index fingers. 
    Nancy

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.