• Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: UP and Down and Up and Down  (Read 2508 times)

Offline gsmama

• Admin
  • I hate diabetes.
    • Type 1 Demystified
Re: UP and Down and Up and Down
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • We are now using a 4rth brand new meter and this one seems to be giving numbers that actually make sense. I guess we have to call animas and get a new meter for the ping. I can't believe that allllll the other meters even the new ones out of the box are sooooooooo wrong. I swear this has been so stressful. Now to monitor her bgs hopefully correctly to re adjust all the adjustments!  Where the hell is the emoji of the guy hitting his head on the wall?

And don't forget that you have to use new blood drop each time. Well, you don't have too, but I have found over the years that when you try to milk one finger for different meters you get very different readings. I only do readings on the same blood drop, not milk for more blood.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline usbornetheresa

• T1P Twitter admin
    • Staff
      • Usborne Books & More
    « Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Also, squeezing too hard will cause interstitial fluid to release and dilute the blood droplet causing a false low.  It might help to click her poker up a setting to see if that is happening.
    Theresa
    Mom to Tori (14yo) dx 3/2006
    Pumping with Animas Ping 8/2010
    Dex G4 10/2013
    Michigan
    [/URL]

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you for your replies. I'm going to look at the lot number of the strips used today and get those replaced and use others.

Andrea, usually she is very active but w the weird numbers I made her rest all day.

The nurse on the phone wouldn't listen to us about her numbers and was on the phone w us after daughter tested and was 24. I told the nurse she doesn't look and act low. She wanted us to do low dose glucagon and I told her just wait a minute  because I knew the next number would be a rebound. If she had looked low, acted low, felt bad I would have considered it but really felt something else is wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong but injecting glucagon into an awake person when they are showing no signs seems so bad. My daughter wasn't having it.

Just for future reference a low dose glucagon is a useful tool for your tool box.  I wouldn't personally use it if they could eat and drink and were fine, but it can be useful for a stomach bug or when they can't eat or drink.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline kcandlysasmom

• Level 3
    « Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • She's doing so much better today. She was 300 at dinner but I think that is just from adjusting basals for false highs.

@usbornetheresa I had to look up interstitial fluid. Ewwwwww and note taken.

@oddangela I did a lot of reading on it yesterday and find it interesting. She has had bad bugs and will again I know so yes in the future very handy. I want to talk to an endo more about it.

Thank you  :)

Offline usbornetheresa

• T1P Twitter admin
    • Staff
      • Usborne Books & More
    « Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
  • Publish

• Just for future reference a low dose glucagon is a useful tool for your tool box.  I wouldn't personally use it if they could eat and drink and were fine, but it can be useful for a stomach bug or when they can't eat or drink.

It is called a mini-gluc and you can see the guidelines on how much to use here:  http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/pediatric-diabetes/7481.pdf

I had to do this for Tori when 3 juice boxes and a temp basal didn't get her over 60 and it was midnight.  It made it so we could both sleep.
    Theresa
    Mom to Tori (14yo) dx 3/2006
    Pumping with Animas Ping 8/2010
    Dex G4 10/2013
    Michigan
    [/URL]

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Also, squeezing too hard will cause interstitial fluid to release and dilute the blood droplet causing a false low.  It might help to click her poker up a setting to see if that is happening.

<roflmao> <bclap> Thank you for writing that word, I was so tired when I was typing I skipped it. It was in my brain, but didn't want to did to spell  <roflmao> I'm such a  :loco:
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.