• Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Diabetes sleep away camps  (Read 540 times)

Offline Laura Morin

• Level 3
  • I love T1P
Diabetes sleep away camps
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi there,
    Our soon to be 12-year old has been the model type 1 for almost 4 years. Her A1C has been in the 6-6.5 range. She listens, doses for all her food, and rarely complains.
    But lately, she can has been more frustrated than usual.
    She doesn't know any other type 1's her age, so I thought attending a sleepaway camp this summer might be good for her.
    We are in Miami. I read about some that even allow siblings (she has a 9-year-old sister).
    Do any of you have experience with sleep away diabetes camps?
    Laura
    Mom to Elena-8 dx 7-27-13(Omnipod/Dexcom), Katerina-5 non-D, Ali Boxer, and baby Moose

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: Diabetes sleep away camps
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Savannah has done Texas Lions Camp for the past 3 years and LOVES it. 
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    Re: Diabetes sleep away camps
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Kristen LIVES for diabetes camp!

She looks forward to it every summer, keeps in touch via text with many friends, and her current boyfriend, is a boy she met at camp. 

I highly suggest it for those who need contact with other people/kids with diabetes.  Some kids don't need it, but my Kristen does.  She likes the feeling of "normalcy" she feels when she is there.  No explaining about why she has to stop swimming or anything else. People who know exactly how she feels.  It is her happy place. 

She went the summer she was 8 and it was the first time she was away from home for more than 1 night.  She was nervous and didn't want to go.  By the time we picked her up, she was already looking forward to the next summer.

It is a good experience for both of us.  I like it because it gives me a much needed break of taking care of diabetes.  It even gives her a break, from mom being the main nagging person in her life.  It also allows me to give some undivided attention to my other kids while she is gone. 
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.