• Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Continue Working?  (Read 6509 times)

Offline JoesMom

• Friend
  • Need coffee
Re: Continue Working?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi All,
     I am new to this forum...but this is a burning issue for me. So I was glad to read how everyone handles work and D.  I say if you don't want to quit and have all the accomodations in place for your child, dont quit. Dont quit out of quilt:)

My situation is somewhat the opposite.... I really need to work, but don't feel I can as I don't have people in place to help. My son is in 6th grade and middle school does not provide any after school care. He is 11 with T1D and my daughter is 6 with T1D and we are only recently diagnosed (both). We are paying a fortune for private health insurance, not to mention all of bills from hospital stays.  For me this really stinks, as I feel my children need me more than ever and I need to work more than ever.  I was laid off last year after 18 years in corporate america, sent my job to India and my husband is self employed.....I worry about summer care if I do find a job.

My 2 cents and my dilemma about (not)working.....

Thanks for listening.
    Julie

welcome to T1P.  You have your hands full!  The good news is that in a few years, if not sooner, you will be more comfortable letting the kids be on their own for a few hours after school and then summers.  Both having D complicates it but they will reach a point where they can handle it more and more.  Summers are the stinkers.  Maybe you could find a job that tags out with your husband's for a few years?  Part time or something.  No idea, just throwing out ideas.

Don't forget to apply for aide from the state.  Not sure what they offer but seems like there should be something there to help you, especially with insurance costs. 

It's why its there, to help parents that really need it.  It's why I never grumble when I see it on my paycheck, because I know there are hard working families that have hard times that need help. 

Julie - Mom to Michael (28), Joe (21 - dx 1/24/07 - Omnipod), Sam (19), and Sarah (17) - and Sadie/Deeya (my Soi Dogs)
    'Colorful' Colorado

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Julie.  Boy, I feel for your tight spot.  Have you looked into any community support groups?  It is possible that through one of those that you could find a high school kid or maybe retired person with T1 who could do some child care.  Possibly even a SAHM with T1 kids who could use a little extra income.  Perhaps there are retired nurses or trained nurses staying home with little ones in your area, etc.  Are there other kids at your schools with T1?  Maybe you could work something out with them?  Just some thoughts that might help.  Hang in there. <hug>
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline jewlzann

• Level 2
    « Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the replies, suggestions, encouragement.  I have not quite figured out how to use all of the features of this board.

Julie :)
    Julie
    Mother of Austin (age 11) DX 072809 and
    Olivia (age 6) DX 091709

Offline jennifer1129

• Level 2
    « Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 03:25:44 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree, do what is right for you. It took a LOA from work for a while when my son was diagnosed.

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.